Why does Differential Gene Expression lead to such insightful analysis?
- Of course, all somatic cells have at least one copy of the genome
- But just as cells are capable of different functions by nature of their type (blood cells, muscle tisue cells, etc.), they vary in the extent to which they express their genes.
- Typically, there will be a large number of unexpressed (unused genes).
- Those genes that are expressed become present as RNA,
- The abundance of RNA in a cell is an indication of its aforementioned "extent of gene expression".